Re: [HACKERS] Here it is - view permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Here it is - view permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andreas wrote:

> >> the table or even discover that it exists!
> >               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Not in 6.3, or maybe ever.  Too much OO stuff for that, I think.
>
> I vote for not ever. No commercial DBMS has it. It is a standard
> that is of very restricted practicability. You can always split into
> different
> databases whatever needs turbo security.

    I'm not quite sure if any commercial RDMBS does it. But since
    we don't have the ability to create multiple tables/views  of
    the  same  name  as  long  as the owner differs, I think it's
    better to stay as we  are.   As  long  as  PostgreSQL  cannot
    distinguish  tables  of  the  same name by a <user>.tablename
    syntax, it's better to let  them  know  what  tables  already
    exist.

Jan