Re: PG 9.1 much slower than 8.2 ? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: PG 9.1 much slower than 8.2 ?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Marc Richter schrieb am 04.09.2014 um 15:31:
> Well, this alone is quite odd: It seems as if the psql client shiped with Postgres 9.3 is slowing down the response
of
> Postgres 8.2 server by 4 seconds; which is 66,67 percent (!) slower than 6 seconds.

This could also mean opening the connection takes longer in 9.3 than in 8.2

> But to remove the possible slowdown "time" might bring in, I remove this command as well
> and run "date" right before and after the psql command instead, which doesn't affect psql at all, but only prints the
currentdate and time:

> 1) The majority of the issue may consist in psql client and not in PostgreSQL Server,
>    since the newer psql client delivers the results of a PostgreSQL 8.2 server a lot slower than the 8.2 client.
>
> 2) There is still a difference of ~2 seconds between the different server versions, which is 20 percent slower than
olderPostgreSQL.

I don't think it's the "server versions" that are different. It's the _invocation_ of the psql client that is
different,
and that is hardly a realistic performance test.

In reality any large scale application will use a connection pool which would make your test unrealistic as well (at
leastin my eyes)