Postgres 9.3 tuning advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dushy
Subject Postgres 9.3 tuning advice
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

Iam running a postgresql 9.0.13 master/slave instance in a write heavy
workload.

The hardware is a Dell 720, E5530 - 8 core, 128GB RAM. The database (around
250g with indexes/bloat etc) is sitting on flashcache device with 2 fusion-
io PCIe MLC SSDs as frontend and a MD3200 based RAID10 (14*1TB SATA disks)
as backend. OS is centos 6.2 with kernel 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.x86_64.

Currently, the performance related configuration is mostly default i,e
shared_buffers,
effective_cache_size. The only directive that seems different is
checkpoint_segments = 96

Iam moving to postgresql 9.3 shortly and planning to tune the above
directives as below..

effective_cache_size = 100GB # free+buffers is pretty consistent around 110
to 120GB and pg_oscache_total is around 80GB consistently
checkpoint_segments = 32 # 96 seems to long and all flushes seem to be only
due to checkpoint_timeout

Additionally iam turning off THB defrag as suggested by some posts on the
lists. Though, My initial pgbench testing doesn't seem to indicate any
issues with THB defrag turned on/off.

Iam not sure about shared_buffers and wal_buffers - iam inclined to leave
them to defaults. But based on this article
(http://rhaas.blogspot.in/2012/03/tuning-sharedbuffers-and-walbuffers.html)
it looks there will be some advantages in tuning it

What would be a good value for shared_buffers and wal_buffers ?

Please let me know if additional information will help.

TIA
dushy