Re: [1.4rc1] Can't change column type - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Chris
Subject Re: [1.4rc1] Can't change column type
Date
Re: [1.4rc1] Can't change column type  (Sim Zacks <sim@compulab.co.il>)
List pgadmin-support
Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld <at> Askesis.nl> writes:
> Does this work (replace the names according to your schema)?
>
> BEGIN;
> ALTER TABLE table_name ADD COLUMN new_column varchar(64)?;
> UPDATE table_name SET new_column = column;
> ALTER TABLE customer RENAME column TO old_column;
> ALTER TABLE customer RENAME new_column TO columns;
> COMMIT;

In the end, I did this plu I dropped the old column, but what's the point of
having a tool like pgAdmin if common place everyday activities like this can't
be done?