Re: pg_restore error - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bryan White
Subject Re: pg_restore error
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Steve Crawford
<scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
> Bryan White wrote:

>> The new server is a dual socket Nahalem.  8 cores, 16 threads, 48 GB
>> ram, 2 WAL drives in RAID1 and 12 database drives in RAID10.
>>

> I would try setting -j higher - in your case try 8 for starters. Also turn
> off fsync and autovacuum (and turn them back on !!!). See these and more
> tips at:
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/using-84-parallel-restore-with-your-83-or-82-database-31575

Success. The -j6 run completed.  The time to restore went from 152
minutes to 45 minutes.  I was already doing some of the things on the
above page.  I plan on implementing others and than do a few test runs
to find the optimal number of jobs.

Thanks!

--
Bryan White