Autonomous transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Loïc Vaumerel
Subject Autonomous transaction
Date
Re: Autonomous transaction  (Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec>)
Re: Autonomous transaction  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I have an application project based on a database.
I am really interested in using PostgreSQL.

I have only one issue, I want to use autonomous transactions to put in place a debug / logging functionality.
To do so, I insert messages in a "debug" table.
The problem is, if the main transaction / process rollback, my debug message insert will be rolled back too.
This is not the behavior I wish.

I need a functionality with the same behavior than the Oracle "PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION" one.
I have searched for it in the documentation and on the net, unfortunately nothing. (maybe I missed something)

I just found some posts regarding this :
... and some others ...

All solutions I found are working the same way : they use dblink.
I consider these solution more as handiwork than a clean solution.
I am a little bit concerned about side effects as dblink were not intially designed for this.

So my questions :
Is there a way to use real and clean autonomous transactions in PostgreSQL yet ?
If no, is it planned to do so ? When ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Shefla