Re: bug in 8.4 and resolved - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: bug in 8.4 and resolved
Date
List pgsql-general
Abhinav Dwivedi wrote on 22.04.2013 07:12:
> select * from district where statecode in (Select districtcode from state)
>
> Please note that the attribute districtcode is not existent in the table state and
>if this query i.e. Select districtcode from state is executed in isolation then it
> correctly throws an error message. But when this incorrect query is made inner query
> of a nested query then the whole query wrongly returns a dataset.

I assume the column districtcode is present in the table district. In that case this is not a bug,
this is required by the SQL standard. The sub-query references the column from the outer query.

And I don't think this has been changed with 9.x (nor will it ever).