Re: TCP_NO_DELAY & TcpAckFrequency (Re: Slow query through - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Marc Herbert
Subject Re: TCP_NO_DELAY & TcpAckFrequency (Re: Slow query through
Date
List pgsql-odbc
O B <ob@kselnet.com> writes:

> You may try "ethereal" which can give you more details than the TCP
> dumps with a structured view of packets and protocol layers.

ethereal is a great general-purpose tool but is not good at analyzing
TCP performance issues, because you only get numbers.  With
tcptrace/xplot you get graphical timelines of sequence numbers and of
window sizes; I don't think ethereal can't match that. It's the same
difference between an excel spreadsheet and the corresponding graph.

Of course you have to be sure that your performance issue is somewhat
related to TCP parameters, else there is no need to go into tcptrace.