Re: understanding select into - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: understanding select into
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello

2010/4/9 John <johnf@jfcomputer.com>:
> Hi,
> I am reviewing a function written by some xTuple guys.  What is interesting
> about it is it uses the "INTO" statement like
>
> select something into _p from sometable where somecriteria.
>
> The function contiunes and uses the data retreived
> _p.somefield_name
>
> And then the function ends.
>

> Ok my question:
>
> I also thought the select "into" created a real table.  But after running the
> function the table does not exist.  I see no where that a 'drop' is issued.
> In fact the function uses lot's of select into's like (_test, _r, etc..).  So
> would some kind soul explain what is happening.

_p is record variable. See some lines before. There will be DECLARE part

DECLARE p RECORD;

There is plpgsql's SELECT INTO and SQL's SELECT INTO with little bit
different syntax. First - target is list of variables or record
variable, second - target is table.

> Could it be that "_p" is drop automaticly when the function ends?  Something
> to do with scope.

_p is just variable

regards
Pavel Stehule