Re: What text format is this and can I import it into Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: What text format is this and can I import it into Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Christensen, 23.08.2012 02:41:
> Oh, also if anyone knows of a way to export an Access database to
> Postgres, that might be helpful. I don't have a copy of Access.

If you have a Windows box, you can try SQL Workbench/J. Even though it is a Java application it can connect to an
Accessdatabase using the JDBC/ODBC bridge. As every Windows box has an ODBC driver for Access built-in you don't need
anyadditional drivers (you do need a Java runtime obviously).

An example connection URL is shown in the manual: http://www.sql-workbench.net/manual/profiles.html#odbc

On a 64bit System setting up the ODBC connection can be tricky though as both 32bit and 64bit drivers are registered I
believe.The Java Runtime has to have the same "bits" as the ODBC driver in order to work.

I have no idea if using JDBC/ODBC would work on a Unix/Linux box though.

SQL Workbench can export any database it can connect to, to various output formats
(http://www.sql-workbench.net/manual/command-export.html).The text/csv exports can be imported into Postgres.

Regards
Thomas

(I'm the author of SQL Workbench/J)