Re: Inserting values into a variable table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bo Berglund
Subject Re: Inserting values into a variable table
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:39:57 +1300, "Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
<andrej.groups@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Me neither - I wouldn't think it does make a difference for the better, but
>> > to be sure I'd try to bench-mark it, with the same data-volume once in
>> >one big table, and once indisparate tables (and see what indexing does
>> >in both cases).
>> Look out for file fragmentation too!
>> If the volume where you store the data does not have a *large* free
>> area any big file would be fragmented and the head starts jumping like
>> mad.
>> Before benchmarking I would shut down the server and then defrag the
>> disk.
>I wouldn't; my logic tells me that disparate tables will cause MORE
>head-movement than a single (well-indexed) table ... and my Linux
>file systems a) don't fragment to begin with and b) don't have any
>defragmentation tools for that reason. ;}

Oops, I mistakenly looked at this from my limited Windows world...
Of course you are right, PG is far more common in Linux than on
Windows and comments regarding performance should be mainly geared
towards Linux, I guess. :-)

Bo Berglund