Re: Binary Large Objects (LOB/BLOB) in Hibernate and JDBC: Unresolved issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Binary Large Objects (LOB/BLOB) in Hibernate and JDBC: Unresolved issues
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Keller wrote on 08.01.2012 19:13:
>> I think you are better off using bytea unless you need to access only parts
>> of the blob regularly.
>
> That's a valid tip. But it's to the current JDBC implementation to
> take action because it currently leads to disk space leakage when
> using JDBC and JPA/Hibernate.

But only if you use large objects.

 From my perspective bytea is the (only) data type that matches the JDBC BLOB type.
And none of the problems you have occur when using bytea.

There is no match for PG's large objects in the JDBC API so I don't see your claim that it's a fault of the driver.

What's the reason for you to stick with LargeObjects?