Re: (psuedo) random serial for PK or at least UNIQUE NOT NULL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: (psuedo) random serial for PK or at least UNIQUE NOT NULL?
Date
List pgsql-general
2010/5/4 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Vincenzo Romano wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm willing to change an BIGINT ID column (actually a SERIAL8) with a
>> BIGINT whose valules are (pseudo)random.
>> The main objective is to avoid guessability.
>> I whish I could also use it as the PK (as it's now) but that's not
>> really important now.
>> Any hint?
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Pseudo_encrypt

That's a nice starting point.
I should apply that function twice for each 32-bit chunk of a
64-bit BIGINT and then merge the results into a single BIGINT ...
Boring but doable!

--
Vincenzo Romano
NotOrAnd Information Technologies