Re: Gentoo for production DB server? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry S
Subject Re: Gentoo for production DB server?
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <s12b6e1f.099@mothra.kshs.org>, "Christine Desmuke" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
> use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
> a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
> anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

<snip>

I'm an ex-Gentoo admin, not because gentoo isn't fun, just that you need
to really really like to constantly fiddle with it to keep it happy.

The worst thing is to have not done an 'emerge world' in 2 months, only
to discover that there are now 99 pending updates.

The biggest problem is not the technology of Gentoo (the ebuild system /
portage is cool), but its the maintainers. It's very much of a
bleeding-edge atmosphere...

These days all my servers are either RHES or Debian-stable.

All in all, debian is one of the best server platforms out there in the
'free' world, IMHO.

I've been exceedingly pleased with it. I love the attention to detail
and security, and yet they still let you have plenty of customization power.

-Barry