Re: Enhancing phonetic search support for more languages - GSoC 2010 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Enhancing phonetic search support for more languages - GSoC 2010
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Dhiraj Lohiya <lohiya.dhiraj@gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance, if many users(above a threshold set by us) insert
> some search string for which no wanted search result is retrieved, we could
> track what he finally selects and then accordingly append/modify our set of
> phonetic rules based on the phonetic mismatch amongst the  query inserted
> and result wanted according to our set of rules. Using this, the rule
> sets it could evolve itself when we collect usage statistics from users
> based on their experience. This feature would add a new dimension to
> the searchfunctionality and would surely stand out.

This is really more of an application than something you're going to
be able to build into the database.  It might be an interesting
project, but it isn't really a PostgreSQL project (though you might
choose to use PostgreSQL to implement it).

...Robert