Re: jdbc works in java app, fails in servlet: "no suitable jdbc found" - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Lew
Subject Re: jdbc works in java app, fails in servlet: "no suitable jdbc found"
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
philfrei@aol.com wrote:
> This is to follow up with the solution I was given at the Eclipse
> "Newbies" forum. Thank you Russell Bateman!

Please do not top-post.

> Do I understand this, or all the suggestions given? Not a whole lot. I'm
> guessing that somehow the Apache server is executing code that is not

The term "Apache server" usually means the Apache Web Server, httpd, not the
Tomcat application server of which you speak here.

> referencing the usual Java packages and libraries, and it needs to have
> these dependencies addressed. I can't say the location for this is

As has been pointed out before in this thread, Tomcat applications (servlets)
do reference the usual Java packages and libraries, in the usual places, as
defined for the application server and very, very well documented on the
Tomcat web site.
<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html>

> exactly intuitive. But then, I am totally new to this and maybe it will
> start to make more sense as I get further along.

Especially if you read the linked documentation.

> One person was asking why I have no WAR file. The code for this project
> was started from scratch and a bit of cut-and-paste. It was not created
> from a WAR and I have yet to package it into a WAR. Maybe that answers
> his question?

Nope.  You don't start Web projects with a WAR file - a WAR file is the
product of the project.

When you ask Eclipse to build the project, it's either building a WAR file or
the equivalent uncompressed directory structure subsidiary to a build directory.

I seem to recall that Eclipse, like NetBeans, builds the WAR file from your
project source, but I might be wrong - you might have to explicitly ask
Eclipse to do that.  Why not take a look at the destination directory, i.e.,
the distribution directory specified in your Eclipse project, after a build?

--
Lew