Re: 110,000,000 rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Torsten Zühlsdorff
Subject Re: 110,000,000 rows
Date
List pgsql-general
John Gage schrieb:

> Herbert Simon must be spinning in his grave...or smiling wisely.  What
> does a human do with a petabyte of data?

for example i have a private search-engine for my most often used sites.
google and the other ones always know just a part of the whole site, my
own one knowns all. its a good research-tool (and mirror) and support a
lot more filter-posibilities than google. there are many great internet
sites out there, which have no search. after waiting for crawling this
is no longer a problem for me.

another big example in my private use is a neural network for figuring
out relations between news and stock-prices. or statistical data of
website usage. oh - analyse of the behavior of google is also a great
fun with much data. or a database for typical games like chess or poker
or something like this. i also have some databases with geo-data or free
avaiable data like statistics about birthnumbers in germany, a list of
all germany citys with its habitants (grouped by gender) and so on.

or calculating a list of prim-numbers on your own just to make some
implementation tests. sometime this databases just grow because you want
to see how long it can take to get x results and forgot to disable the
test after reaching the border :D

> But when a desktop machine for $1700 retail has a terabyte of storage,
> the unix operating system, 4 gigs of memory, and an amazing 27 inch
> display, I guess hardware isn't the problem (and I know one could put
> together the same machine on Linux etc. for much less).

yes and for private use you can use such a desktop machine as
database-server. it can work while you're on work ;)

Greetings from Germany,
Torsten
--
http://www.dddbl.de - ein Datenbank-Layer, der die Arbeit mit 8
verschiedenen Datenbanksystemen abstrahiert,