Re: Using high speed swap to improve performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Lew
Subject Re: Using high speed swap to improve performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> I don't think the other poster mean shutting down solaris, that would
> be insane.  I think he meant closing it, as in taking it closed
> source, which there is ample evidence for.

Oh, that makes sense.  Yes, it does seem that they're doing that.

Some press hints that Oracle might keep OpenSolaris going, forked from the
for-pay product.  If that really is true, I speculate that Oracle might be
emulating the strategy in such things as Apache Geronimo - turn the
open-source side loose on the world under a license that lets you dip into it
for code in the closed-source product.  Innovation flows to the closed-source
product rather than from it.  This empowers products like WebSphere
Application Server, which includes a lot of reworked Apache code in the
persistence layer, the web-services stack, the app-server engine and elsewhere.

I don't know Oracle's plans, but that sure would be a good move for them.

For me, I am quite satisfied with Linux.  I don't really know what the value
proposition is for Solaris anyway.

--
Lew