Re: [pgsql-performance] [GENERAL] Large databases, performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manfred Koizar
Subject Re: [pgsql-performance] [GENERAL] Large databases, performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:32:50 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:
>Coupla quick comments on these:

My first attempt on user types; thanks for the tips.

>These functions are dangerous as written, because they will crash on
>null inputs.  I'd suggest marking them strict in the function
>declarations.

I was not aware of this, just wondered why bpchar routines didn't
crash :-)  Fixed.

>Some attention to volatility declarations (isCachable
>or isImmutable) would be a good idea too.
>Also, it'd be faster and more portable to write the functions with
>version-1 calling conventions.

Done, too.  In the meantime I've found out why it crashed with 7.3:
INSERT INTO pg_opclass  is now obsolete, have to use  CREATE OPERATOR
CLASS ...

Servus
 Manfred