Re: Help with starting portable version of postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Help with starting portable version of postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce wrote on 06.12.2009 00:01:
>> I downloaded the portable version of Postegresql from
>> http://greg.webhop.net/postgresql_portable
>>
>> It works but the problem is that to start the server you must load it
>> from the gui. Instead since I want to start the server from my app, I
>> need to understand how to load it manually. I tried starting
>> postgres.exe but it's saying:
>> Execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
>> permitted.

You should use pg_ctl instead. That will take care of dropping any administrative rights the current user might have.
I'musing a set of batch files to create a "portable" postgres, and I use pg_ctl for that purpose even with
administratoraccount.