Re: optimizing advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edgardo Portal
Subject Re: optimizing advice
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2009-12-01, Rüdiger Sörensen <r.soerensen@mpic.de> wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I am building a database that will be really huge and grow rapidly. It
> holds data from satellite observations. Data is imported via a java
> application. The import is organized via files, that are parsed by the
> application; each file hods the data of one orbit of the satellite.
> One of the tables will grow by about 40,000 rows per orbit, there are
> roughly 13 orbits a day. The import of one day (13 orbits) into the
> database takes 10 minutes at the moment. I will have to import data back
> to the year 2000 or even older.
> I think that there will be a performance issue when the table under
> question grows, so I partitioned it using a timestamp column and one
> child table per quarter. Unfortunately, the import of 13 orbits now
> takes 1 hour instead of 10 minutes as before.  I can live with that, if
> the import time will not grow sigificantly as the table grows further.
>
> anybody with comments/advice?
>
> tia,
> Ruediger.

Re the apparent performance penalty for your imports...

If you implemented partitions with ON INSERT rules, maybe you could
"turn on & off" inserts into particular partitions as necessary, i.e. create
a RULE while importing a particular range of timestamps, then remove that
rule when you won't be inserting more data for that partition?