Re: Search system catalog for mystery type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlo Stonebanks
Subject Re: Search system catalog for mystery type
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok, it appears that relations and types automatically get a copy made of
some object with the same name, prefixed with a leading underscore. Now,
that was a dangerous choice! By convention, we all know that the safest
characters to use across DB platforms are lowercase chars and underscores.

In the past, I had been able to prefix tables, indexes, etc with
underscores. It is a tactic we use when I am "soft deleting" objects, or
installing new versions over old. The number of underscrores indicates how
many versions old it is. This convention (rather than the classic
"my_table_old") makes the tables float to the top of schema listings,
attracting attention during Db maintenance.

This was really common with us with PG for years, and now it errors out -
what happened, and when?

Carlo