Re: Absolute value of intervals - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: Absolute value of intervals
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2009-10-27, Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:55:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> writes:
>>
>> > A simple SQL implementation would look like:
>>
>> >   CREATE FUNCTION absinterval(interval) RETURNS interval
>> >     IMMUTABLE LANGUAGE sql AS 'SELECT greatest($1,-$1)';
>> >   CREATE OPERATOR @ ( PROCEDURE = absinterval, RIGHTARG = interval );
>>
>> I think this came up again recently and somebody pointed out that the
>> correct definition isn't as obvious as all that.
>
> Hum, I think it is! :)
>
>> The components of
>> an interval can have different signs, so should abs('-1 day 1 hour') be
>> '1 day -1 hour' or '1 day 1 hour'?  Or what about corner cases like
>> '1 day -25 hours'?
>
> Funny, I used exactly that example when playing---although I spelled it
> '-1 day 25:00:00'!
>
> It all comes down to how you define things.  I'd say my quick hack does
> the "right" thing, but yes I should have pointed out that the interval
> type has subs-structure that makes it's behavior non-obvious.  My
> intuition as to why it's correct worked along these lines:
>
>   1) '10' can be defined as '1 hundred -90 units'.

not all days are 24 hours long,
some differ by one second or one hour from that.
months are even worse.

> If the absolute value of an interval was defined to strip out all the
> negation signs you'd get the "wrong" answers out.

I think a definition that defines abs(interval)

such that

extract( date-part from abs(interval)) = abs(extract( date-part from interval))

is not totally without merit.

> The awkward thing
> with intervals is the the components are not all of the same units, but
> I think the argument stands.

the awkward thing is that the units are not all related by fixed ratios.

 60 minutes per hour
 7 days per week
 12 months per year

thses are not:

 days per month,         (gregorian calendar)
 days per year,          (leap year)
 hours per day,          (daylight saving)
 and seconds per minute  (leap second)