Re: Speeding up 'bulk' delete (and/or seeing what is going on while the delete is being processed) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Eric Comeau
Subject Re: Speeding up 'bulk' delete (and/or seeing what is going on while the delete is being processed)
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in message
> Steve T <steve@retsol.co.uk> writes:
>> PS Is there a reason that PostgreSql doesn't automatically create the
>> foreign key indexes?
>
> Sometimes you don't need/want them, or they might already exist because
> of other constraints you made.  It is a bit of a gotcha for newbies,
> but we've concluded that forcing such indexes to be made would be a
> net loss.

I would like to run a utility to identify any missing indexes for
foreign-keys so I don't suffer the same faith.

Just wondering if there is something built-in PostgreSQL or pgAdmin already?

Or should I follow these blogs/posts:

   http://mlawire.blogspot.com/2009/08/postgresql-indexes-on-foreign-keys.html
   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-12/msg00880.php

Thanks,