Re: PL/PGSQL: why IF test the whole condition before failing or not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jasen Betts
Subject Re: PL/PGSQL: why IF test the whole condition before failing or not?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2009-08-18, Suporte PK <fknoedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm having trouble with - believe me! - the IF operator on a PL/PGSQL
> function used by a trigger.
>
> I'm using one unique function to process the three triggers events
> (delete, update and insert), but when I reference OLD or NEW on a IF
> CONDITION, I get an error even when testing BEFORE if it's a UPDATE
> event or not.
>
> example:
>
> IF TG_OP = 'UPDATE' AND OLD.field != NEW.field THEN
> END IF;
>
> The question is: if the trigger was not fired by an UPDATE event,
> shouldn't it make the first test and then ignore the rest of the condition?
>
> I know that some languages work like this (testing the whole condition)
> while others don't, but I searched for an alternative without success.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated!

as you see a few more error messages (or unlike me get as far as
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plpgsql-expressions.html
in the manual and understand it)

you'll come to understand that every /expression/ in plpgsql is
translated into a select, this can be exploited to simplifiy code.

 avariable = somecolumn FROM atable WHERE someother=foo;

but has its down sides too:

 SELECT TG_OP = 'UPDATE' AND OLD.field != NEW.field;

doesn't pass go with NEW undefined.