Re: Start With... Connect By? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Start With... Connect By?
Date
List pgsql-general
Philippe Lang, 13.07.2009 08:05:
> Hi,
>
> Now that Postgresql 8.4 has a "WITH RECURSIVE" operator (thanks! :)), is
> there a chance we can see one day "START WITH... CONNECT BY" in
> Postgresql, or is that something 100% oracle-specific?

START WITH is Oracle specific whereas recursive CTEs are an ANSI Standard (supported by PostgreSQL, Firebird and SQL
Server).

As far as I can tell anything you can do with CONNECT BY can be done with WITH RECURSIVE (including ORDER SIBLINGS BY),
it'sjust a bit more "noise" because you need to write more stuff (I wish the ANSI standard had adopted the CONNECT BY,
it'sreally very elegant)

Thomas