Re: Feature request: limited deletions - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Feature request: limited deletions
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On 8 April 2010 11:55, Ian Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2010/4/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> I couldn't find any discussion on this, but the request is quite
> straightforward.  Implement a LIMIT on DELETE statements like SELECT
> statements.
>
> So you could write:
>
> DELETE FROM massive_table WHERE id < 40000000 LIMIT 10000;
>
> This would allow deletions in smaller batches rather than waiting
> potentially hours for the server to mark all those rows as deleted and
> commit it as one massive transaction.

Is this a PgAdmin-specific question? If it is, apologies I am missing
the context.

If not, this is totally the wrong list, but why not use a subquery to
control what is deleted?

Ian Barwick

Erm... my mistake, I thought this was on the generic hackers list.  Moving it over in this reply.

Thom