Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool) - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Csaba Együd
Subject Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,
I'm administering a Pg8.3 database with PgAdmin3.

The users need views "pre" filtered on a session based vairable wich is
stored in a temporary table. Immediately after logging into the database the
client software creates a temporary table and stores an idin that. The users
query views when they want to see the contents of a filtered table and
modify the tables directly - which tables have BEFORE UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT
trigers to check the existence of the Temp table and to force filter field
values to be defaulted to the temporary table field. I hope it is clear...
:)

When I log in with PgAdmin I have to create the temp table manually. It's
ok, and if I use the query tool i cansee query the views after creating the
temp table. But if I want to see the contents of a view in table view (View
Data-View all rows), the views are empty indicating that it lacks of the
temporary table. When I view directly the table (not the view) and try to
edit a field the trigger refuses it because of the lack of temp table.

I guess View data function establishes a separate connection to the database
to serve the query - or what??
How could I force PgAdmin3 to use the same session or how could I make the
table view to see the session wide temp table which was created earlier in a
query tool?

Many thanks,

--
Best Regards,