Re: Numbering rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Morgan Lloyd
Subject Re: Numbering rows
Date
List pgsql-general
D. Dante Lorenso wrote:

> PERL can remember variables in your session.  Here's a function I wrote
> that sets a "global" variable in PL/PERL:

Perl can do anything- that's cheating :-)

Actually, I use Perl heavily but the advantage of being able to do the
sort of analysis being discussed in a single query is that the query can
be easily shipped with the results as a description of the method.
Having to set up ad-hoc extra functions (in addition to those that are
normally in the workflow) can be problematic, particularly if a
recipient of the query only has restricted access.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk