Re: Win32 timezone matching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 21:01, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> ... lack either the note about defaulting to GMT or the hint.  I guess
>>> we should add both of those to the failure cases in the Windows version
>>> of identify_system_timezone.  Should we also change the WARNING errlevel
>>> to LOG?  I think the latter is more likely to actually get into the log.
>
>> You are suggesting adding this after the "could not find match"
>> message, correct? Not replacing it? Because if we replace it, we loose
>> the information of what we failed to match. So basically like
>> attached?
>
> No, I was thinking more like the attached.  This changes the Unix code
> to separate the info about the fallback timezone into errdetail, and
> then makes the Windows messages follow that style.

Yeah, that looks good.

>> Also, would LOG be *more* likely to be seen than a WARNING? Why would that be?
>
> Because that's how log levels sort for the postmaster log.  This isn't
> an interactive warning --- we will never be executing this code in a
> regular backend, only in the postmaster.

Well, when the dba looks through the log, he'll be looking a lot
harder at something that says WARNING.

And if somebody is filtering his log so hard that it doesn't even
contain WARNING's, frankly, he's ignorant ;)

But that's just me, and I've never really agreed with that soring in
the first place, so maybe I should just be ignored...