Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> As a concrete example, there is nothing logically wrong with
>> driving a hot standby slave from WAL records shipped via old-style
>> pg_standby.  Or how about wanting to turn off recovery_connections
>> temporarily, but not wanting the archived WAL to be unable to
>> support HS?
>
> As one more concrete example, we are likely to find SR beneficial if
> it can feed into a warm standby, but only if we can also do
> traditional WAL file archiving from the same source at the same
> time.  The extra logging for HS would be useless for us in any
> event.
>
> +1 for *not* tying WAL contents to the transport mechanism.

OK.  Well, it's a shame we didn't get this settled last week when I
first brought it up, but it's not too late to try to straighten it out
if we have a consensus behind changing it, which it's starting to
sound like we do.

...Robert