Order of SUBSTR and UPPER in statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hermann Muster
Subject Order of SUBSTR and UPPER in statement
Date
Re: Order of SUBSTR and UPPER in statement
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I encountered something I can't really explain. I use the following
statement in my application:

COALESCE(UPPER(SUBSTR("Y"."Firma",1,7)),'')

This returns "ERROR:  syntax error at end of input"

However, using the following statement is fine:

COALESCE(SUBSTR(UPPER("X"."Firma"), 1, 7), '')

The fieldtype of "Firma" is character varying.

The only difference is the order of UPPER and SUBSTR. Is it possible
that this changed during some PostgreSQL version update? By the way,
right now I'm using 8.2.

Regards,
Hermann