Re: SELECT INTO deprecation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: SELECT INTO deprecation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost schrieb am 02.12.2020 um 18:58:
> We should either remove it, or remove the comments that it's deprecated,
> not try to make it more deprecated or try to somehow increase the
> recommendation to not use it.

(I am writing from a "user only" perspective, not a developer)

I don't see any warning about the syntax being "deprecated" in the current manual.

There is only a note that says that CTAS is "recommended" instead of SELET INTO,
but for me that's something entirely different than "deprecating" it.

I personally have nothing against removing it, but I still see it used
a lot in questions on various online forums, and I would think that
a lot of people would be very unpleasantly surprised if a feature
gets removed without any warning (the current "recommendation" does not
constitute a deprecation or even removal warning for most people I guess)

I would vote for a clear deprecation message as suggested by Peter, but I would
add "and will be removed in a future version" to it.

Not sure if maybe even back-patching that warning would make sense as well, so
that also users of older versions get to see that warning.

Then target 15 or 16 as the release for removal, but not 14

Thomas