Re: Large Objects and Toast - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: Large Objects and Toast
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Dec 14, 2007 10:11 PM, Campbell, Lance <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:

PostgreSQL: 8.2

My understanding is that when one creates a large object there is no way to link the large object to a field in a table so that cascading delete can occur.  Is this correct?  My understanding is that you have to manually delete the large object.

Yes, but you can setup a trigger to do that for you i think.

I also read something about the OID ID being limited in size.  What is the size limit of this OID type?  I am sure that it is bigger than the number of files that I would be uploaded into my db; but I just want to get an idea of the range.

Oid is  an unsigned integer in postgres  IIRC.

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect