Re: Connection attempt hangs when server is unresponsive - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: Connection attempt hangs when server is unresponsive
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

My question is why this thread did not error out when it could not talk to
the server?  Could the server have been up when the connection started and
went away in the middle causing errors?  Could there be something we have
overlooked in our conf that would time it out?  When the db server came
back, our thread count dropped from 200 down to 35 which is normal.

Look into

1- Setting the jdbc driver's login timeout
2- make sure that the connection attempts are not trying to do long name resolution lookups
3- If you are using DBCP make sure tomcat is configured to remove abandoned connections (removeAbandoned=true) and related parmeters are set to reasonable value.

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect