Re: One or more tables? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: One or more tables?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Dec 2, 2007 6:35 PM, rokj <rjaklic@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.

For an example let me say that I have a big (over 1 million) user
"base". Then every user does a lot of inserting/updating of data.
Would it be better to create different tables for insert/updating for
every user or  would it be better just to have one big table with all
data (tables would have of course the same columns, ...). How do you
cope with this kind of things?

1.example (1 enormous table)
tablename (id, user_id, datetime, some_data)

2. example (a big number of tables)
tablename_user_id( id, datetime, some_data)

Although  there isn't enough information in the email, but instead of creating a separate table for every user, you could use one table , partitioned on userid,  that would , however, add a maint overhead whenever you add a new user.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Rok

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq