Re: Enhancement request - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Usama Dar
Subject Re: Enhancement request
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Dec 1, 2007 12:46 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance@uiuc.edu> wrote:

Could you please add to your to do list a schema parameter for vacuum?

Example:

VACUUM SCHEMA xyz;

PostgreSQL would get a list of all of the tables found in the schema.  It would then loop through vacuuming each table in the schema.

I found today that I did not have max_fsm_pages set high enough in order to vacuum the entire database.  I vacuum daily to avoid problems.  After realizing that I cannot vacuum the entire database now, I then had to do it at the table level.  I had to go through all 13 of my schemas and list each table I found into an SQL vacuum script.  This was a real waist of time.  I will eventually restart PostgreSQL with an increased value for max_fsm_pages so this will not be an issue.

But until then I will have to run a new script.  I created a script with 420 SQL vacuum statements at the table level.  I would have preferred to create 13 vacuum SQL statements at the schema level.

i generally use an sql to generate vaccum statement for all tables in a schema and then simple copy paste the output in  an sql file and then just run it. something like following

postgres=# select 'vacuum ' || relname || ';'
from pg_class c , pg_namespace n
where c.relnamespace = n.oid
and n.nspname='public' and relkind='r';

   ?column?
--------------
 vacuum b;
 vacuum a;
 vacuum test;
 vacuum xyz;
 vacuum foo;
(5 rows)

You can redirect this output to a file and then strip off the heading and the feedback of (5 rows) and just run that file

Thanks for considering this enhancement,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois