Re: collect_corrupt_items_vacuum.patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: collect_corrupt_items_vacuum.patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14/08/2024 04:51, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 10:15 PM Alexander Korotkov
> <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 9:39 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> This causes an assertion failure when executed in a hot standby server:
>>>
>>>    select * from pg_check_visible('pg_database');
>>>
>>> TRAP: failed Assert("!RecoveryInProgress()"), File:
>>> "../src/backend/storage/ipc/procarray.c", Line: 2710, PID: 1142572
>>>
>>> GetStrictOldestNonRemovableTransactionId does this:

>>> And GetRunningTransactionData() has this:

>>> So it's easy to see that you will hit that assertion.
>>
>> Oh, thank you!
>> I'll fix this and add a test for recovery!
>
> Attached patch fixes the problem and adds the corresponding test.  I
> would appreciate if you take a look at it.

The code changes seem fine. I think the "Ignore KnownAssignedXids"
comment above the function could be made more clear. It's not wrong, but
I think it doesn't explain the reasoning very well:

* We are now doing no effectively no checking in a standby, because we
always just use nextXid. It's better than nothing, I suppose it will
catch very broken cases where an XID is in the future, but that's all.

* We *could* use KnownAssignedXids for shared catalogs, because with
shared catalogs, the global horizon is used, not a database-aware one.

* Then again, there might be rare corner cases that a transaction has
crashed in the primary without writing a commit/abort record, and hence
it looks like it's still running in the standby but has already ended in
the primary. So I think it's good we ignore KnownAssignedXids for shared
catalogs anyway.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)