Re: Finding the bin path - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Jaeger
Subject Re: Finding the bin path
Date
Re: Finding the bin path  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Re: Finding the bin path  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
I was not clear in my initial question. I need to access the pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe files from within a c++ program. I can't execute pg_config.exe because it's in that bin that I'm seeking.

I don't quite follow Greg Smith's reply of 'try guess based on "which postmaster"' (can you clarify?)

But - I think I have found what I need! I can do a "SHOW data_directory;" and then from there I can snoop inside the postmaster.opts file to get the bin path. The question I have now is - is this method safe? Is this file present in all platform data directories. (I'm using Win7)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really do appreciate this community. - Rob