Re: Request to share information regarding deadlock in postgresql-8.1.18 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Request to share information regarding deadlock in postgresql-8.1.18
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/13/2016 11:52 PM, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
you can look those relation numbers up in the pg_catalog to see what they are.   you can see what the processes are in pg_stat_activity.
Currently machine is not available. Please suggest if any other approach  to identify the same.

without access to the system thats generating the error, there's nothing you can learn.

>THis has nothing to do with the growing WAL logs...    something is blocking checkpoints if a single WAL file keeps >growing, are you using some form of wal archiving, is that working correctly ? could something
>be preventing checkpoints?    what are the related checkpoint and WAL settings?
Many WAL files are generated in pg_xlog directory. I don’t know how I can check checkpoint and WAL settings?
By default setting of postgresql.conf is used.

I just noticed, you're talking about postgresql 8.1.18?    thats an unsupported and obsolete version from 2009.

A standalone postgres installation that hasn't been configured for WAL archiving will normally only generate up to 2*CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS + 1 wal files of 16MB each (assuming all defaults, thats 7 files).    The obsolete 8.1 documentation on this is here, https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/wal-configuration.html

If you've configured wal archiving, AND this isn't working correctly, WAL files can stack up indefinitely.  See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html