Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Cazabon
Subject Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo
Date
Re: Calling function from VFP changes character field to Memo  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a simple table Patients with one field FirstName of type
character(30).

If I

SELECT FirstName From public.patients;

I get back the expected character(30) field.

If however I have a function defined like this

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.testfunction(
     )
     RETURNS TABLE
     (
         Firstname character(30)
     )
     LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'

AS $BODY$
BEGIN
     RETURN QUERY SELECT p.cFirstName FROM patients p;
END;
$BODY$;

And I call:

SELECT * FROM public.testFunction();

Then FirstName returns as a Memo field (similar to a Text field).

Any idea what I need to do to get it to return the character(30) type?

--

Frank.

Frank Cazabon