Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Saurabh Dave
Subject Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application
Date
Re: Bundling postgreSQL with my Java application
List pgsql-performance
>No offense intended - but have you looked at the documentation for postgresql.conf?

>If you are going to include PostgreSQL in your application, I'd highly recommend you >understand what you are including. :-)

I had a look into the documentation of postgres.conf, and tried a lot with changing paramters I thought would improve the performance, but in vain.
Autovaccum is enabled by default in 8.3.7 , but i reduced the nap time so that it happens more frequently.

My personal opinion is that certain parameters in postgres.conf are simply too technical in nature for a application developer like me, it becomes more of a trial and error kind of frustrating process.

If there a utility that understands the system specification on which postgres is going to run and change the paramters accordingly, that would help.

Thanks,
Saurabh

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mnc.ch> wrote:
Mark Mielke <mark 'at' mark.mielke.cc> writes:

> On 07/06/2009 01:48 AM, Saurabh Dave wrote:
>> We are bundling PostgreSQL 8.3.7 with our Java based application.

[...]

> PostgreSQL 8.4 comes with significantly improved "out of the box"
> configuration. I think that is what you are looking for. Specifically,
> you are probably looking for "autovacuum" to be enabled.

autovacuum is enabled by default on PG 8.3 as well.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau