Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in aninfinite loop - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in aninfinite loop
Date
Re: BUG #14932: SELECT DISTINCT val FROM table gets stuck in aninfinite loop  ("Todd A. Cook" <tcook@blackducksoftware.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 11/27/2017 07:57 PM, tcook@blackducksoftware.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      14932
> Logged by:          Todd Cook
> Email address:      tcook@blackducksoftware.com
> PostgreSQL version: 10.1
> Operating system:   CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)
>
> It hangs on a table with 167834 rows, though it works fine with only 167833
> rows.  When it hangs, CTRL-C does not interrupt it, and the backend has to
> be killed to stop it.

Can you share the query and data, so that we can reproduce the issue?

Based on the stack traces this smells like a bug in the simplehash,
introduced in PostgreSQL 10. Perhaps somewhere in tuplehash_grow(),
which gets triggered for 167834 rows (but not for 167833).

regards