Re: pg_upgradecluster transfering only a portion of the data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgradecluster transfering only a portion of the data
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/27/23 07:44, Dávid Suchan wrote:
> Hello, I tried upgrading pg db from version 9.6 to 14 by using
> pg_upgradecluster command. I freshly installed pg 14 -> ran
> pg_dropcluster 14 main --stop -> and then upgraded using
> pg_upgradecluster 9.6 main.
> After a successful prompt finished, I checked the database and the size
> went from originally 20gb (in 9.6) to 700~ mb (in 14) while the disk
> space available shrank by about 2gb meaning that there is still the 20gb
> of data. I tried the entire process twice (since I had created an AWS

1) How did you measure the size of the database clusters?

2) pg_upgrade will not remove the old cluster automatically so it not
surprising the overall disk usage increased.

3) Did you see any messages at end of upgrade mentioning issues?

4) Have you connected to new cluster to see if everything is there?

5) Does the Postgres log provide any relevant information?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com