obtaining row number of select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From kkeller@speakeasy.net (Keith Keller)
Subject obtaining row number of select
Date
List pgsql-sql
So I'm trying to generate a pseudo-serial number of a select
statement on the fly, and I want to do so within the select
statement.  I could do this programmatically, but I wish to
use the select statement so that I can use it in creating a
view.

So, I would like to do something like so:
select serial(),* from mytable order by 1;

But of course that won't work.  :)  Is there any way to
autovivify a serial-like column for a select statement?
(I've scoured the docs, and still can't find an answer.)

--keith

--
kkeller@speakeasy.net
public key:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/kkeller/public_key