Re: Lost in Foreign Key land - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject Re: Lost in Foreign Key land
Date
List pgsql-general
This is only a soft answer. A real answer would probably involve
mucking with the system tables, so maybe a question about the
application logic can prevent you from resorting to that.

Through what process does a file get orphaned?

Is it possible that you could just cascade deletes on the columns (like
resume) that refer to files, or can more than one table at a time
reference the same file? I.e., is there any reason you couldn't define
resume in your example to say ON DELETE CASCADE?

If multiple simultaneous references are valid, could you do basic
reference counting? E.g., create a refcount column in files that
tracked how many different tables pointed to it? Then, in a delete from
a referencing table, you could decrement the refcount. This would allow
you to delete from files WHERE refcount = 0.

Just some prelimnary thoughts...

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell