Re: query_to_xml() returns invalid XML when query returns no rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: query_to_xml() returns invalid XML when query returns no rows
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/12/18 08:18, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I am not sure if this qualifies as a bug:
>
> query_to_xml() returns an empty XML document when the query returns no rows, e.g:
>
>    select query_to_xml('select 42 where false', false, true, '');
>
> The problem with this is, that if the resulting XML is then fed into e.g. the xpath() function, that function fails
becausethe "empty" document is an invalid XML:

That's because you have the tableforest argument set to true.  If you
want a proper XML document, then you should write

    select query_to_xml('select 42 where false', false, false, '');