Re: Symbolic link breaks for postgresql.auto.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Symbolic link breaks for postgresql.auto.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/6/21 10:50 AM, Vijaykumar Jain wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

Also please use inline or bottom posting, it makes things easier to follow.

> Yeah I am aware of that :)
>
> I was referring to if the main config is managed via some config
> management tool like puppet, ansible or  anything else that would wipe
> the changes made temporarily.

Which 'includes' could handle depending on what the config management
tool is using as the starting main config(postgresql.conf I presume). If
that file is seeded with an include, or better yet include_if_exists,
that point at files outside PG_DATA then you would have the ability to
override settings at will with a reload/restart.

If the above does not cover your use case you will need to provide a
more detailed description of how your configuration management is done.

> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 10:45 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 6/6/21 10:02 AM, Vijaykumar Jain wrote:
>      > Yes, I learnt it the hard way as well :) I made changes via the
>     alter
>      > system, and did a pg_restore, and the changes were lost  :)
>      >
>      > use the alter system for ad hoc changes, but make sure those
>     changes are
>      > added back to the postgresql.conf file immediately (or however
>     the main
>      > conf file is managed).
>
>     I would suggest taking a look at 'includes':
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/config-setting.html#CONFIG-INCLUDES
>     <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/config-setting.html#CONFIG-INCLUDES>
>

>      >
>      >
>      > On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 at 22:17, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
>     <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>      > <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     RAJAMOHAN <garajamohan@gmail.com
>     <mailto:garajamohan@gmail.com> <mailto:garajamohan@gmail.com
>     <mailto:garajamohan@gmail.com>>> writes:
>      >      > I am trying to keep a symbolic link for the
>      >     *postgresql.auto.conf* outside
>      >      > the data directory. The link gets created but whenever I
>     issue an
>      >     alter
>      >      > system statement it gets broken.
>      >
>      >     This is not supported.  Don't do it.
>      >
>      >     The right way to keep the hand-maintained config files
>     outside the
>      >     data directory is not the way you've done it here, either.
>     It might
>      >     accidentally work, but the preferred way is to put
>     "data_directory =
>      >     whatever" in postgresql.conf and then start the postmaster
>     with -D
>      >     pointing at where the config files are.
>      >
>      >     But in any case, postgresql.auto.conf is not hand-maintained; it
>      >     is part of the cluster data, so it belongs in the data directory.
>      >
>      >                              regards, tom lane
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >