Re: Make a SQL statement not run trigger - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Make a SQL statement not run trigger
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jon Collette wrote on 21.08.2007 23:26:
> Is it possible to run an insert,update, or delete and have it not launch
> a trigger like it normally would?
>
> For example could I set a value
> DONOTRUN = True;
> insert into contacts ....
>
> Where the trigger on contacts would call a function that would have an
> IF statment for that DONOTRUN value?
>
> Or is there just a global variable I could set to disable triggers and
> then reset it? And would that be a per connection variable?

What we have done once, was to include a column in the table for this purpose.
If a special value for the column was provided during UPDATE or INSERT, the
trigger would immediately terminate, not doing any work. Thus the trigger still
"fires" every time, but simply won't do nothing. Not very elegant, but worked
for our environment.

Thomas