Re: Yet another fast GiST build (typo) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Yet another fast GiST build (typo)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30/08/2020 15:04, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>> 23 авг. 2020 г., в 14:39, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> написал(а):
>>
>> Thanks for reviewing and benchmarking, Pavel!
>
> Pavel sent me few typos offlist. PFA v12 fixing these typos.

In gist_indexsortbuild(), you first build all the leaf pages. Then, you
read through all the index pages you just built, to form the tuples for
the next level, and repeat for all the upper levels. That seems
inefficient, it would be more better to form the tuples for the
downlinks as you go, when you build the leaf pages in the first place.
That's how nbtsort.c works. Also, you could WAL-log the pages as you go.

In gist_indexsortbuild_flush(), can't you just memcpy() the page from
memory to the buffer?

- Heikki